We’ve all been there.
Come back from lunch hour and all you can focus on is not falling asleep at your desk. How can we avoid that without drinking a gallon of coffee?
I have some tips that might help:
- Avoid including carbs in your lunch. Carbs turn into sugar and react the same way as sugar: once the high is done, your energy level sinks even lower. Stick with healthy proteins and fruits and veggies for high energy.
- Get a few minutes of sun. Just a few minutes of sunshine can benefit your Vitamin D levels and your dopamine levels. Enjoying the sunshine will instantly put you in a good mood and give you energy.
- Enjoy a cup of tea. Regardless of what kind of tea it is, caffeinated or herbal, the scent and taste will bring comfort and rejuvenation to your afternoon.
- Tidy up. A simple, mindless act of cleaning out your inbox or straightening your desk will help you ease back into your day. It doesn’t require a lot of energy and it will become a more inviting place to work.
- Stretch. Loosen up those tight muscles and bring oxygen to them by stretching for a couple of minutes.
- Chew on some gum. A spicy flavour, such as cinnamon, could be just stimulating enough to get you moving again.
- Do your filing. Like tidying up, it’s mindless but requires just enough concentration to get focused on the rest of your day.
- Get moving. Use the stairs. Go the long way to your destination. Anything that requires physical movement can keep you feeling alert, which in turn, will prevent you from falling asleep.
- Listen to music. This is not the time for ballads and slow love songs. Listen to some of your favourite dance beats, and if you start dancing, even better!
- Have a healthy snack mid-afternoon. Skip the chocolate bars and chips. Choose raw vegetables or whole-grain crackers. You want to bring fiber and protein into your system. A small piece of dark chocolate isn’t a bad idea, eating an entire chocolate bar will leave you feeling worse than when you started.
Hopefully, these tips help you skip the afternoon slump to a more productive afternoon.
Be even more productive by working with a virtual assistant. Book a free consultation call with me and let’s discuss how we can develop a plan for your business.